Monday, May 17, 2010

Welcome!

Life styles are an intersting thing. This world is filled with so many different kinds of people, ideas, cultures and such. What one person enjoys doing, another person could hate. I love to watch people, the way we interact with each other, our idiosyncricies, the way we dress, the jobs we choose to do. Variety is the spice of life. I'm so gratefull that we are not all the same. Some lifestyles are not as common as others, and that is one of the reasons why we have decided to start this blog.
My name is Cody Bowman. I come from four generations of cowboys, farmers, horseman, and outdoorsmen. I love to be out working in and with the many glorious creations of our Heavenly Father. I currently work on a ranch where I train horses, take people on trail rides, give horsemanship clinics, work cattle, and irrigate feilds. The nature of my job also gives me the unique experience to share my lifestyle with others. Most recently, I hosted my first trail ride. I took a great couple from Florida on a ride around the ranch. They were visiting The Cowboy's Dream Bed and Breakfast after seeing it featured in a magazine. I had a lot of fun sharing some Pahranagat Valley history as we rode and actually giving a short horsmanship demo. They loved the scenery and said they were coming back again. I believe that there is a promising future for the ranch in tourism!

My wife and I currently are building a horsemanship business REALITY HORSEMANSHIP that will offer normal every day people the chance to step out of their normals lives and experience something unique. The life of a cowboy...the life of a horseman. Come join us!

Thoughts from Lucy (the wife):
I grew up in Redding, CA. It is not the largest city in California by any means, but it is larger than our current home...Alamo, NV POP. 1200. As you read Cody's updates, I hope you can appreciate my point of view. No matter how much I tease Cody about his lifestyle, you need to remember that I am married to him and love him for his differences.


When I married Cody I was sure that I knew what I was getting into. As I have lived with this cowboy, I have found that my city upbringing could never prepare me! Just to paint a picture for you: Cody and I went to visit my family in St. George, UT about a month ago. Cody brought a leather stitching horse that looks like it was made in the 1800s and a bag full of tallow-greased rawhide strings. As if it wasn't weird enough to bring that to my parents, he set up in front of the house. Every member of my family was invited to come and see the progress he was making. My family, like me, were all smiles, nods and support, but deep inside they were wondering why on earth he would want to make his own rawhide rope. Can't you buy one of those in the store? The beauty of Cody's hobbies is that they are a dying art, and if any of you readers love the old western cowboy ways, read on. Also, more recently, I went on a ride with Cody on the ranch. I was there for about three hours and when I got home, I was dead. I laid down and took a nap. My body is not used to being outside so much and riding so long. I realized how much work it is to be outdoors all day and work with horses all day long. My hat is off to any horse trainer out there! Cody is an excellent horseman. I love to watch him and have him explain things to me. We hope you will follow us on our adventures!

5 comments:

  1. Love the blog! looks really nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited to read your blog its going to be so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome to read this new blog! I'm going to check out the ranch and consider a stay. I used to ride alot back in the day...miss it.

    So glad you are enjoying the joy that comes for appreciating each other's gifts and talents. It's such a wonderful part of growing together in marriage.

    Good luck with the new business venture!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucy-- i loved your contribution to the post!! haha.. i chuckled!! But i am so excited for you two-- and i will be one of your guests any day at the 'ranch'/business.. ps.. i gotta meet up with you--- and meet your husband soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lu it is always fun to hear your slant on life. You are an angel and a Saint to put up with that Cowboy Husband of yours. :)

    ReplyDelete