Wednesday, May 19, 2010

A Special Man

There have been many people in my life that have impacted me profoundly. Some of which have been close friends, family members, coaches, leaders, for which all of them I am so thankful for. There is however one special man that has impacted my life more than any other living being (excluding the Saviour) on this earth, and that man is my grandpa.
As I sit here writing, my grandfather Samuel Keith Bowman, is laying in a hospice bed, body filled with MRSA, awaiting his release to the spirit world at any moment. I'm filled with such a deep love and appreciation for this man and feel I need to share it with you.

I've been fortunate in my life to share a close bond through many wonderful experiences with my grandfather. It is he to whom I attribute my love for the wonderful creations of our Heavenly Father. At the age of two and three he would take me to the Ranch with him every morning to milk the cows. He had a little burrow he would put me on, as he milked ,that would just wander around eating bits of grass. I would pull with all my might to make him go where I wanted to go but I just wasn't strong enough. I would cry and yell for grandpa and he would patiently and lovingly come out and help me guide my mount. On all of our camping trips I would be his right hand man in everything he was doing whether it be pitching tents, flipping hot cakes, or making his famous Yerba Tea. I loved to just be around him.

He taught me by example how to treat women. He always would greet his wife with a "good morning my sweets!" and a tender kiss on the lips. He never let her open a door, and treated her like a queen. Never did I hear a harsh word between them.

Grandpa had a very strong testimony of the Gospel of Jesus Christ which was evident in his words and deeds. He loved and served the children of our heavenly father where ever he was at. He was a master teacher. I loved to listen to him as he would take the ordinary and simple yet beautiful things around us and teach a life lesson with it. His wisdom and council has blessed many lives.


Grandpa was a man of principle and character, large in stature and strong. What ever he did it was the best in quality. Whether braiding a rawhide reata, setting up a camp trip for his family, or giving a word of advice. For me he is the true measure of a man, the true measure of a christian and I hope and pray that I can follow in his foot steps and carry on his legacy.


Thoughts from Lucy:

Last night Cody read a memory written by his grandpa. I laughed as Grandpa Bowman described Aunt Nellie. She was loud and dramatic on her mule as they traveled around the Sierra Madre Mountains in Mexico. I laughed mostly because I am a little like Aunt Nellie. I loved to visualize the unforgettable memories that were made as a family camping, fishing, catching turkeys, eating fresh deer meat, and spending time together. It isn't until I joined the Bowman family that I realized that meat doesn't come from the store! A funny side note: My girlfriends from college came to visit and in a conversation before arriving my friend asks, "Is the meat in the soup from the store or did Cody butcher it from the ranch?" As if that really matters, I assured her that the meat was from the store. My friend seemed relieved. =)

As you can tell, Cody admires Grandpa and this connection and adoration he had with such a great man was an indication to me that if I married Cody, I too would be able to make special memories with my family. I can picture Cody packing up the mules, putting the kids on good horses and making some yummy dutch oven somewhere very scenic and beautiful. One wonderful tradition in the Bowman family is, men cook the meals when camping! Isn't that great!? Last night I was continuing to work on our business plan and a goal for our business is to host a packing trip in the next 2-5 years. Cody, like his role model, is truly in his element when he is in the mountains or outdoors! Cheers.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cody, I am sorry to hear about your grandpa, I understand how much he has meant to you. You are the young man you have become largely because of him. Thank you for sharing this special tribute to him.

    I hope to come out to the ranch and photograph you there one of these days. I have thought about you a lot lately, anytime I photograph someone with an old hat, I am reminded that they all have a story behind them.

    Take care friend and may God bless your trails,
    Charles Hilton

    ReplyDelete